Oil and Gas Operating Permits
No person shall engage in any oil and gas activity within the Nation without first obtaining and maintaining in good standing an oil and gas operating permit. JANC Title 18 - Oil and Gas defines "Oil and Gas Activity" on the Nation lands as follows;
- The exploration for, development, production, treatment, processing, refining, transportation or sale of oil, natural gas, or other hydrocarbon minerals;
- The manufacture of any product using oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, hydrocarbon products, or other hydrocarbons as a raw material or component; or
- Any activity authorized by a lease issued under the Indian Mineral Leasing Act of 1938, 25 U.S.C. Sections 396 a - 396 g or by contract entered into by the Nation under the Indian Mineral Development Act of 1982, 25 U.S.C. Sections 2101 - 2108.
There are two types of Operating Permits; a Designated Operator Permit and a Service Vendor Operating Permit.
- Designated Operator Permit - applies to those entities that satisy either of the following conditions;
- The entity holds a leasehold interest pursuant to the Indian Mineral Leasing Act of 1938, 25 U.S.C. Sections 396 a - 396 g or is engaged in oil and gas activity pursuant to a contract entered into by the Nation under the Indian Mineral Development Act of 1982, 25 U.S.C. Sections 2101 - 2108; or
- The entity holds either a record title interest or operating right interest that is subject to the requirement that it may only be transferred with the Legislative Council's approval, as provided in JANC Title 18 - Oil and Gas, Ch. 11.
- Service Vendor Operator Permit - applies to those entities that do not constitute Designated Operators that are nonetheless engaged in oil and gas activities
The application process instructions and requirements, along with the application form, can be found in the documents tab under Permits. You can also contact Shannon Largo at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 575-759-3485.
A $1,000 annual fee is required for an Operating Permit.
Additionally, a vehicle sticker/decal is required for each vehicle that will travel on the Nation's lands. This include graders, backhoes, ATVs, etc. The cost of vehicle stickers/decals is $10 for each vehicle.
Limited Authorized Access Permit (Gates)
It may be necessary for some oil and gas industry personnel to obtain access to Nation lands through locked gates. If this is necessary, you may apply for a Limited Authorized Access Permit through our department.
The application form can be found in the documents tab under Compliance & Enforcement. You can also contact Orson Harrison at email@example.com or by calling 575-759-3485.
There is no fee for this permit.
Off-Site Gas Measurement Permit